Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Random Portraits!!

I meant to post something yesterday but I was too busy watching Captain America (no movie series is better than the Avengers, just a random plug). But I of course can post today. Throughout my sketchbook and portfolio, I have quite a few portraits and self-portraits. Most of them tend to be self-portraits (again, I'm not vain) simply because I'm readily available to draw. Some of them are school assignments or sketches for the school assignments. Some of them I did on my own time (there are very few of those).

This was a sketch in preparation for #3
This was also a sketch in preparation for #3

This piece is HUGE, about 5'x3'. Maybe more.

This is a charcoal portrait sketch.

A portrait collaged with charcoal paper.

A "dynamic" portrait done in pencil.

A portrait of a man with only the lights and darks drawn.
Another "dynamic" portrait. It's me tangled up in a scarf.

A watercolor self-portrait.

Girl with the pearl earring painting sketch.

Mixed media girl with the pearl earring.

One of my absolute favorite self-portraits. Done with weighted pencils.



So, there are different types of portraits with different types of media but all are pretty cool, at least I think so. I tend to like sketching portraits more than drawing them for a finished piece. For one thing, it's quicker, and there's more energy in a sketch. You're able to see the process more clearly in a sketch than in a finished piece. On a totally unrelated note, the book Girl with the Pearl Earring is pretty good, you should read it.

Next up, figures!

No comments:

Post a Comment