Monday, August 6, 2012

Drawing Video

After hours of drawing, measuring, editing, and waiting, I have a video of a drawing!! *fanfare* It took longer to edit the video and make it viewable on the internet than actually drawing the picture. I wanted to draw something relatively familiar to me and easy to do. Thus, the portrait of Alicia Keys. She's one of my favorite singers and I admire her for her awesome piano/singing skills and for her general awesomeness. In case you don't notice, the music that's accompanying the art is what she has sung in the past. They are, in order, "Harlem's Nocturne", "As I Am [intro]", "Like You'll Never See Me Again", and "Superwoman". Not only do you get hear her awesome songs, you get to have a little taste of my iPod playlist. I'm sure more songs will follow. 

A photo of the finished drawing is below the video. I drew her portrait with sketching pencils (4H-4B) and graphite sticks (HB-8B). The pencils were mostly for the initial line work and shading while the sticks were used for darker shades and better blending. I used 18"x24" Strathmore Drawing paper but I only used about 17.5"x20.25" (yes I measured for the correct proportions).

In the video, you see the paper with a fine layer of graphite to start even though it's not the "true" beginning. I'm pretty sure you didn't want to see me measuring and drawing reference lines and sharpening the graphite sticks to get the graphite to rub on the paper. That would be boring.






In retrospect, the video's not the best quality, sorry. And I might have to fix the picture a little bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment