Thursday, July 11, 2013

Pages from an Artist's Journal Part 3

I really seem to like drawing/painting flowers for some reason. Maybe because they can be so easily abstracted? And painted really quickly?
But anyways, here's a painting of a magnolia. They are one of my favorite flowers, and I actually didn't know they grew in Boston until recently. The pink trees that blossom with the full flowers every spring are magnolias! I thought they only grew in Georgia. I both love and hate how transient they are. Since spring is such a short season in Boston, the magnolia blossoms don't stay out for very long, like a month or two. Sometimes, they stay for an even shorter time if it rains and the petals fall off (read: much, much sadness for me).
Following are a few watercolor and ink sketches. I wanted to see how I could mix two of my favorite media together. The watercolor paint adds color to a black and white ink drawing, and I like how they look together. I do a watercolor wash first to get the color down, then I draw in pen and ink over it. It's like it combines loose color with tight drawings. And the dripping paint is my favorite part.


These flowers are almost fantastical aren't they?


Not my favorite painting of a bird, but I was just getting the hang of doing a wash first then a drawing over it.

These are watercolor paintings of cherry blossoms. This is the wash I did before drawing over it with pen and ink.

Detail of wash

Detail


Detail

I really like the first detail, the one focusing on the actual cherry blossoms. I might be doing more of these kinds of paintings, they're fun.

Also, be sure to vote on the poll on the sidebar! It's basically just asking what type of artwork you'd like to see more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment