Friday, July 12, 2013

A Flower Garden

Free time + love for watercolors + near infinite amounts of paper and flower pictures = watercolor flower extravaganza.

I've been looking through Jean Haines' book Atmospheric Watercolors (which I highly recommend) and in looking through her work and techniques, I've found inspiration for paintings. That book has inspired the several watercolor flower sketches that you've seen in previous posts as well as those in this post. I'm obviously having tons of fun (and finally using my sketchbooks) experimenting with watercolors. It's been an exercise of patience though; waiting for the previous layer to dry before adding another layer can be difficult. But here are some sketches and one actual painting on Blick's Aquabord of flowers.



These I call Summer Flowers. I've decided to only post details of the whole sketch because I didn't like how the whole thing looked together. This was just more experimenting with watercolor and ink.


This sketch is White Flowers. My first hand at painting the negative space to allow the flowers to come through. I also experimented with making the paint drip by painting with the sketchbook held up. If I could break this apart, I'd have the two flowers on the right be their own painting.





My favorite sketch so far. These are just yellow flowers in a bunch. I like the sketch as a whole but I really love the above detail. That's a painting all on its own.



More yellow flowers. This one is on the Aquabord, but it's not my favorite. I want to work on it more but I'm afraid I'll overwork it. At least from this one, I know what works and what doesn't.



These flowers are called Aubretia. They're white but I liked how the sketch looked with them being a light bluish purple. 

And there's my little flower garden so far. Most likely, I'll be painting more flowers in the future.

2 comments:

  1. wow, kira i had no idea you were so good at painting they look great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, work, Kira. Thanks for sharing. You inspire us to reach within.

    ReplyDelete