Friday, June 29, 2012

Contour Drawings

Drawings don't always have to look like masterpieces or like finished work. Contour drawings are technical drawings with little regard to realism. They're pretty quick to draw and they make you practice with whatever media you're using. Here are two of my favorite contour drawings, both done with charcoal and on this linen type paper (which is my favorite type of paper).



The first drawing is of a strainer. We had an object in a paper bag and we had to draw what we felt rather than what we saw. Our teacher then proceeded to order us to turn the paper in a different direction or draw with our opposite hand or draw with our eraser. It was an interesting exercise. At first, I didn't like it but as I looked at it more, I saw the energy and the mark-making in it. I also liked it more because everyone seemed to have there own view of it. I usually see  the first one in the direction that I have posted here but others see it in a different direction or see the subject as a different object.

The second one is a contour drawing of vegetables with the same method as the previous drawing, drawing what we feel. My favorite part of it is the shadows that I implied although the objects weren't in any sort of lighting. Contour drawings are honestly a weird way to draw but it makes you kind of think outside the box. And it doesn't hurt that they're pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment