Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer Projects!

I'm really starting to get the hang of painting with watercolors. Or at the very least I'm becoming more comfortable with them. So much so that I'm starting a few projects (and I'm bored, it's summer vacation).

My first project will be for a friend. She's given me her name in Chinese characters and one of them stands for "orchid". Seeing as how I love to paint flowers, I'm going to paint a branch of orchids and then write her name in characters on the painting. I've yet to figure out the composition but here are some preliminary sketches.



I like the second one better since it gives me more space to write her name. And I like to leave some of the paper blank instead of filling the whole thing with color.

My next project has to do with poetry. See, I love short poems. I admire those who can write a meaningful, or even cryptic, poem in just a few words or lines. William Carlos Williams is one of the poets that I admire for that. I painted his poem, "This is Just to Say"; the title of the poem is also the title of the painting. I'll be selling it hopefully, once I figure out a price anyways.

WIP

Final piece
I was so happy when I saw that watercolor works just fine on Bristol Vellum. I was kind of scared that the paper wouldn't be strong enough. But I'm so glad that it held and that the colors went on smoothly.


No comments:

Post a Comment