Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pages from an Artist's Journal Part 2

Watercolors are such a wonderful paint. I know I say this for just about everything I work with but it's true, watercolors are wonderful. They're quick and easy - many small sketches can be done with them - and they make painting anything so much fun. By abstracting the subject matter, I can play with how I move the brush over the paper or with how the paint moves on the paper.






I call this small sketch "A Trio of Lilies". I see these flowers mostly in people's yards. They're very pretty and very orange; they also stand out from their typical green background. I splattered a burnt sienna/ultramarine mixture to mirror the spots that are usually on lilies. I could probably stand to learn to control where the paint goes.


This is "Hibiscus". It's another watercolor sketch, and I used a reference photo (found here). This one was also fun to do. I was a little more patient with this one since I painted in layers; I waited for the paint to dry and then painted another layer on it. This might end up being a sketch for a final painting at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment