Thursday, June 28, 2012

Still Life

Still lifes are another one of my favorite things to draw, mostly because I have to draw what I see. There's also the perk of being able to arrange anything you want any way you want; it brings a lot of freedom. Here are some still lifes that I've done from earliest to latest.

Freshman year: Prismacolor colored pencils.  There's not much contrast as you can see.

Sophomore year: Prismacolor colored pencils. More contrast.
The main focus was perspective, hence the stripes (no comment on the toys).

Junior year: Acrylic paint. We focused mainly on the shapes of the shadows.

Senior year: Acrylic paint. This piece won a gold key in the Scholastics Art Exhibit.
The main focus was reflective surfaces.

You'll notice two are in colored pencil and two are in paint. What's my favorite media for still lifes you ask? Well, I like colored pencil for very detailed drawings and paint for quicker applications. I can still do small details with paint but they are more exact with colored pencils. Also, paint offers a much better underpainting and I can easily cover mistakes unlike with colored pencil. So honestly, it depends on the type of still life I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment