Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Little Practice Goes a Long Way

As an artist, your art is never perfect. I found this little gem on Pinterest, and I think it captures the struggle of artists of any kind anywhere.
http://themetapicture.com/how-artists-see-their-work/
And sometimes, even when you finish your artwork, it's still not finished. I still look at some of the pieces I've done in the past and mentally make a list of all the things that could make it better. I'm afraid of overworking a piece, but I'm also afraid of underworking it; I can never really find that happy medium, so it sometimes feels like I end up stopping in the middle. 

So I figured that I should focus on (for now) practicing. I haven't really done a formal large piece in a while, so my fine arts skills have gotten rather rusty. I've been doing a lot of graphic design, and I love it. But there's still something special about holding a brush or pen in your hand and creating something beautiful. Therefore, I'll practice as much as I can (plus, I need to use all of my mini-canvases). I won't sell these since these are on par with sketches and they're also pretty small, about the size of a business card. But they'll be nice for me to see my progress this summer.

I'll also add to this post as I continue with practicing.

Painting a background to get rid of the horrible plain white canvas


"Finished" paintings of snowberries and poppies

No comments:

Post a Comment